What is a hotel loyalty program, and why should I join one?
Hotel loyalty programs* are an excellent way for leisure and business travellers to accumulate points, frequent flyer miles and benefits by using their specific program.
There are multiple benefits to joining a hotel loyalty program such as:-
- Member-only offers, promotions and discounts
- Stays and other spending counts towards status, which can lead to benefits such as upgrades, free internet, free breakfast, discounts etc.
- Points or miles collected can be exchanged for free nights, or for transferring into or your favourite frequent flyer/airline loyalty program.
- Once you have earned status in a hotel loyalty program you earn bonuses, miles and points at an increased rate (often double or triple).
- Increased likelihood of a discretionary upgrade even at entry level status (such as this amazing suite at Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah Dubai)
Whilst is true sometimes hotel stays may be more expensive booked through a hotel loyalty program, the benefits and long-term value created often far outweigh any savings.
Here is a screenshot of my SPG loyalty program – with a lovely picture taken from the wonderful Sheraton Grand Dubai – showing an example of two great current offers:-
- One complimentary night when three staying consecutive nights.
- Double StarPoints promotion (on top of additional 250 bonus) and whatever earned during stay/eat/spending.